A dental implant is a small titanium screw that simulates the function of a natural tooth root. The implant is surgically placed into the jaw bone and then bonds with the natural bone to serve as an anchor for a tooth replacement. Dental implants, together with a tooth replacement, look and feel like natural teeth. Missing teeth can be not only unsightly but also reduce the function of your mouth.
Consequences of missing teeth with no replacement:
- Difficulty in chewing food
- Difficulty speaking if front teeth are missing
- Deterioration of facial structure over time
- Adjacent teeth may drift
- Appearing older
- Impacted aesthetic of the smile
Benefits of a Dental Implant:
Dental implants can be used to replace a single lost tooth or many missing teeth and can address a number of oral health issues, including:
- Preventing surrounding teeth from shifting
- Resolving jaw joint pain or bite issues
- Improving chewing, speech and digestion
- Restoring aesthetics and facial tissues
- Stopping bone loss and preserving facial structure
- Better health of the teeth, gums and jaw
- Eliminating dentures, if possible, for increased comfort
The dental implant procedure requires three pieces: a titanium screw, an abutment, and a tooth replacement such as dental crown, dental bridge or dentures.
Your dentist will first place the titanium screw into the jaw bone. Next, your dentist will attach the abutment and tooth replacement to the screw, creating the appearance and function of a natural tooth.
If you have missing teeth and are experiencing any difficulty, give us a call today at Mosaic Smile Care to set up an initial consultation. Our Dentists will do a thorough check-up and advise you of a treatment plan that is best suited to you.