Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome (TMJ) affects a wide variety of people. TMJ is the name for each joint (right and left) that connects your jaw to your skull. Symptoms like pain or a “clicking” sound are indicators of TMJ disorders. These are not very difficult to treat and once we know the cause of the problem, we can give you a treatment plan.
Some indicators that you might have a TMJ Disorder:
- Grinding or clenching of teeth
- Waking up with sore, stiff muscles around the jaw
- Frequent headaches or neckaches
- Clicking, popping, grating, catching, or locking of the jaw when the mouth is opened
- Difficulty or pain while opening the mouth, eating, or yawning
- Previous injury to head, neck or jaws
- Possible arthritis in other joints
- Misaligned bite
- Teeth meeting differently from time to time
- Difficulty using front teeth to bite or tear food
- Sensitive, loose, broken or worn teeth
You might not have all of these symptoms, however, even if you have a few, it is worth getting it checked out. Once a diagnosis has been confirmed, a treatment plan is devised that could include a bite guard for teeth grinding or custom orthotic for your teeth. Give us a call at Mosaic Smile Care today if you are suffering from any of these symptoms. We can provide a consultation and answer all your questions. You can rest assured that if your symptoms are related to dentistry, we will provide you with treatment and relief.